The Auditor-General for the Federation (AuGF) Mr. Anthony Mkpe Ayine has remarked that he sees the National information Technology Development Agency (NITDA) as great partner of progress in ensuring transparency and accountability which the country needs at this point.
Mr. Ayine made this remark during the courtesy visit of the Director-General (DG) of NITDA, Dr. Isa Ibrahim Pantami on Monday, August 07, 2017 to his Office in Abuja.
He said ‘it gives me great joy to see an Office that is dedicated towards transparency and accountability. I am delighted to see an Agency that implemented audit recommendations without being compelled. This is what the country needs’.
“If the nation’s resources are prudently and efficiently managed, it will go a long way in boosting the citizens’ welfare and enhance the development of other critical sectors of the nation’s economy” he said.
Mr Ayine remarked that good governance goes with transparency and accountability and implored the Agency to continue to sustain the anti corruption war.
The Auditor-General disclosed that in line with the recent “Executive Orders” issued by the Acting President, Prof. Yemi Osinbajo, the Office of the Auditor-General for the Federation (OAuGF) has now been automated effective 25 July, 2017. Prospective and existing registrants can now conduct their transactions on line.
He said the OAuGF will be pleased to collaborate with NITDA in the area of standard development and the regulation 0f the IT industry, including the formulation of IT Audit guidelines in collaboration with OAuGF and in tandem with the AFROSAI IT Audit framework.
The Auditor-General gave suggestion on how to integrate social media with government websites, filling of government forms on line and having terms and conditions and private policy for government websites.
Mr. Ayine also requested for support of highly technical civil servants to serve at the OAuGF Data Centre.
Earlier in his remarks, the Director-General NITDA, Dr. Isa Ibrahim Pantami explained that the Agency is a regulatory body set up in 2001 to set out guidelines for the procurement and use of Information Technology activities in Nigeria and to enhance security of Nigeria through ICT.
He said the agency in line with its mandate is responsible for clearing ICT projects in all MDA’s by critically reviewing their cost content and sustainability noting that ICT projects have been used in the past as conduit for siphoning government funds.
Dr. Pantami said NITDA will not hesitate to enforce the requirements of the law setting it up to ensure that the right things are done. He therefore solicited for the support of the OAuGF in realizing this objective.
The NITDA boss disclosed that under his watch the Agency has set up a committee comprising of credible officers of the Agency to implement the audit report recommendation issued by the OAuGF. He revealed that 90 per cent of the report has already been implemented. The remaining 10 per cent which the Agency made submissions have been collated and submitted to OAuGF for clearance.
Dr Pantami said the Agency’s doors are open for consultation and advice. He also expressed the willingness of the agency for collaborative work in IT auditing.
For: DD (Media & Public Relations)
7th August, 2017